Friday, October 10, 2008

Fuzzy/Not Fuzzy



Happy Friday y'all. Some more pictures from day one in Tarangire National Park. I was having lots of fun with my new camera (and I still am). The zoom lens is great, and enabled me to get some great shots from far away, even though I didn't have a tripod. The digital camera thing I'm still loving, 6+ years into it, because you can shoot off a whole bunch of pictures to get that one brief instant trapped in the time, as with the picture below of the lizard sticking out his tongue.

So, quick stories behind these shots. First, the
monkeys. As I mentioned in my previous post, we drove up onto a bluff overlooking the riverbed where the elephants were (and also a pack of zebra, wildebeest, and waterbuck), and where there was a picnic area at which we could actually get out of the trucks and walk around a bit. Whenever this is a picnic area, you will find little birds and animals happy to steal your crumbs, and this particular picnic area had these cute monkeys. They were running about, dangling from trees, and checking us out, though not too close.

After we finished on the bluff, we drove back down the hill and crossed a concrete bridge/ford of the river. Just over the edge of the bridge we saw this monitor lizard. I know it's hard to get a sense of scale in the picture, but this lizard is the better part of six feet long!


No comments: